velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Viva la Moutholucion!

Tonight for dinner, I made butternut squash coconut curry soup, lentil and rice pilaf with leeks, and organic spinach salad. All of the veggies were from Eating with the Seasons.

By working directly with local farmers and producers, Eating With The Seasons offers a convenient way to get fresh, local and organic produce at a reasonable price. They deliver to our office and, after their taking a winter break, today was the first delivery since mid-December.

I can't believe how much I missed it! I've gotten so spoiled by it. Even when I did go grocery shopping this last month, I couldn't bring myself to buy veggies or fruit -- too many choices, what's in season?, not enough time to cook (traveling), it wasn't local, not organic, just not as good. I think I bought four bananas. So, I'm glad it's on again. I was getting really frustrated with the lack of fresh foods in my diet. Eating out is good, but eating with the seasons is better.

Then, tonight in my email was a note from our friend Morgan. He shot a new short for Freerange Studios, producers of the Store Wars. It is awesome!

Please take four minutes to watch The Mouth Revolution. It's related to this post, I swear. And it's funny.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Eating with the Seasons looks like a great program. A long time ago I used to do "The Box" program, but stopped because they include items that are not necessarily local or seasonal. I don't do any delivery program at the moment because I can easily get to the farmer's market in Berkeley, which happens three days a week year-round, but I would definitely have done this when I lived on Peninsula. That mail sounds delicious, too!
Jen E.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What size shipment do you usually get? I'm trying to decide if the extra small will be enough. 6 items doesn't seem like a lot, but if you get that every week, maybe it is. I saw your endorsement on their website. I suppose there might be a better one for Berkeley. I wonder if there's one with an affiliation to the University.

10:53 AM  
Blogger velma said...

I always forget to tell people that yes - you get six or eight items - but you get more that one piece of each item. For example, this week in my bag was:
five apples, five tangerines, seven kiwis, 1# potatoes, 1# turnips, two leeks, a head of cabbage, and one bunch spinach. It's a lot of food. So, if you're worried about getting too much, an extra-small bag would probably be enough.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home