velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Monday, September 18, 2006

For Kenya

Banana Bread Muffins
From Recipes for a Small Planet

1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup honey
3 eggs
1 cup mashed banana pulp
1/3 cup water and 1/4 cup milk powder OR 1/2 cup milk or soy milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups whole wheat flour
walnut pieces

Cream together butter and honey with an electric mixer until light. Beat in the eggs, banana pulp, water/milk, and vanilla. Stir together dry ingredients and stir them into the wet mixture with as few strokes as possible. Stir in 1 to 2 cups walnut pieces. Turn the batter into an oiled loaf pan; bake at 325 for about an hour, until well browned and a tester comes out clean. OR scoop about 1/3 cup batter into a cupcake-lined muffin pan. Bake at 325 for about 40 minutes. Makes about 2 dozen muffins. Awesome when topped with Nutella.

My changes in italics.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some bananas that need dealing with. Perhaps I shall try this. Thanks for the recipe!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was the lucky birthday recipient of two of these bad boys if I am not mistaken? Mmmm... Deeelish! I have such a soft spot in my heart for Nutella icing!!Hugs to Velma

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tried Nutella for the first time about two weeks ago...as like Velma with the peanut sauce, i ate it with a spoon. Hmm, using it as an icing, now that's a good idea!
Ana

5:40 AM  
Blogger D. Matson said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. It's one of my favorites and I no longer have the cook book "Recipes for a Small Planet". I also love the Thanksgiving cranberry nut loaf. Can you post that one too?
Happy Thanksgiving from Milwaukee!

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home