velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Yellowstone


This was the first time I've crossed the continental divide - not in an airplane. I felt like such a tourist, but I didn't care!


The first day I drove into Yellowstone, I pulled into the Old Faithful Complex and made it to the geyser just as everyone was leaving.


Here, I'm talking on the phone to Mark - in the middle of Yellowstone about 100 yards from Old Faithful. I had to get off the phone - because I was supposed to be having a wilderness experience, right?

Yellowstone was very pretty. I took many pictures of the hot pools, trees and wildlife. But, traveling on my own was hardest here. It's unsafe to go hiking on your own. So, I didn't. Which meant that I spent my days driving around, parking, walking and driving some more. Which was ok, especially the two days it was rainy, but wore me out by the third day. There weren't "many people," but there were still too many people. I look forward to going back when I can get out into the backcountry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

You can hike alone in Yellowstone - the Park Circus always overplays the dangers to try and tone down the behavior of complete idiots.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home