velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Friday, September 09, 2005

Thomas Canyon



Thomas Canyon is a literal oasis in the desert. There is nothing for 300 miles on either side of this area except high desert. Outside of Elko, NV, tucked away up in some mountains are some glaciers. There are trees. And deer. And creeks. It is beautiful. Made more so, by how stark a contrast it is to the surrounding areas.



I camped in Thomas Canyon and had breakfast the next morning in Lamoille at the one of two restaurants and the only one open for breakfast. It's actually a bar and grill. And even at 9 in the morning there were people taking advantage of the bar. I learned from the locals that the area was experiencing tremendous growth. People were moving in at a tremendous rates and rents had nearly doubled in the last nine months. It's nearly impossible to buy a home. The real estate market isn't as expensive, but just as competitive, as San Francisco. The main employer is the mining industry - hard work, long hours, but good money. Anyone can get a job, even women. (That's a quote.) The locals like to hunt and fish. They love where they live. The people are friendly and helpful. One could say neighborly, even.

It's a place I would definitely go back and visit, if I ever passed through that part of Nevada again, which I admit, is the limiting factor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home