velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Happily Ever After

Really?

So I just finished watching Four Weddings and a Funeral. I haven't been this disgusted after a movie since Love Actually! Can't Hugh Grant make any movies where people have relationship that are based on more than lust? more than instant chemistry? He has been in better movies, hasn't he?

At any rate, my tolerance for sappy cheesy romantic girley movies has noticeably decreased over that last several years. (I'm going to rant a little bit more here, so pardon me.) This type of movie contributes to and is an example of the disease in our culture of the Fairy Tale syndrome. Where all a person has to do is to meet The One other right person who they're instantly attracted to and it will be rosy forever.

I'm sorry, but that's not really how it works. Yes. It is important to be physically and chemically attracted to a person. But more important is their being a good friend and a good person. Someone who I trust implicitly. Who I would do anything for. Who I seek when I'm troubled or joyful. With whom I talk, listen, laugh, love, disagree, compromise, negotiate and play. Who I question, advise, look out for, care for, nuture and love no matter how bitchy or cranky or crazy they (or I) are every now and then. I love them because I know them and they know me. Our friendship has been built and tried over time. It didn't blossom easily over the course of four chance meetings, but then again we're not Hugh Groan or Andi McDunce.

Maybe in the movies, they really do get to know each other, and it all just ends up on the cutting room floor. Somehow, I doubt that.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger mamakohl said...

I hear you, love. This kind of crap has ruined my life (ala my sister.) Fairy Tale, Schmairy Tale. Nothing terribly healthy about the romance between Hugh and Andy, other than big hair and gingham sheets.

BUT, I have to say, I love the movie. Any movie that starts with the word FUCK and shows a wonderful relationship between two men is a-okay in my book.

Or maybe I like it because British humor drives my in-laws insane and that's always been my goal in my marriage. Hmmm.

Clearly I must explore my feelings a little more.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Grant was excellent in "About A Boy", but that wasn't a typical romantic movie.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home