velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Monday, September 12, 2005

"There are some wackos out there."

We just watched Bowling for Columbine. This was my first Michael Moore experience. Overall, it had the intended affect - shock and appall. He's very good at presenting stories and facts in a way that evokes emotions, and maybe could even get one to think.

But, as a Lakoffite, I wonder if his documentary could be more persuading if he did a little more with the framing. I guess I would like to see him draw a few more conclusions, not for me, but for the people who probably didn't even see the film.

I guess this is a great example of my cynacism coming out.
(1) A lot of people are too sheltered to be exposed to a documentary critiquing American culture and life.
(2) Even if they did, they wouldn't be smart enough to think for themselves and figure out that TV is bad, we don't have as much to fear as we think we do, and corporate culture doesn't care.

*Hypocrisy Alert*
Of course, his documentary fits my frame, so I understand it. And how many years has it taken for me to see it?

At least it's reminding me of my political interests.

Next up, Roger and Me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home