velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Monday, June 06, 2005

Mud Dauber Escape

This looks curiously like the profile of a wasp in mud because it is the profile of a wasp in mud. It also happened to be on the top of a chair in my room.

Dad likes strange creature things. (He gets that from Grandpa.) My house was known by my friends in high school as the one "with the corn squirrel feeder by the front door." That's 10 years ago, and Seth mentioned last Friday. (Me: "You remember where my house is, don't you?" Seth: "It's the one with the corn by the front door right?" Me: "Well, not anymore. The squirrel feeder's in the back now.")

So, I come home and my old room is nicely funished, including a cool old chair with about a fistful of dry mud sticking off the top. After being reassured by Dad that it's empty, I allow it to stay in the room and even admit that it's pretty neat. Still, I wasn't heartbroken when I knocked the chair over and the nest broke.

This morning, I'm mostly awake and hear this light scratching noise, somewhat like a mouse in the wall. But we can't have mice in the walls because the walls are solid brick. I slide down out of bed (slide because the bed is three feet high and I have to hop to get into it), crouch down, creep across the room and identify the source of the noise at about ear level or the top of the chair. A wasp is struggling for freedom from the mud cocoon that has held it for months. The momentary panic fades as I remember that mud dauber wasps are not agressive wasps and not likely to sting. Still, it's not something I want thinking that my room is home.

Grabbing a plastic grocery bag, I carefully cover the nest and remove the chair to the great outdoors. About a minute later, the wasp flies free. It drifted to the ground and was learning its wings. I tried getting a portrait, but it seemed to be camera shy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home