velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Atlanta

Contrary to popular belief, Atlanta does have public transit. Jolene, Dan, Jess and I took MARTA downtown on Tuesday. None of us had been there yet, and Jesser wanted to say that she'd been to Atlanta after saying she was going to Atlanta. We drove 40 minutes or so to get to MARTA, while Jess entertained us with another session of Name that Tune. It was about a fifteen minute ride before we got off at the arts center. I had decided that we would walk down Peachtree Street for a couple of miles, hop on MARTA at another stop and head back. Since this was our first time to Atlanta, we had no idea what to do and wanted to just get a feel for part of it.

The first major attraction was lunch. I forget the name of the restaurant, but the food was excellent and our waiter was entertaining. He did a little song and dance to the 80s pop coming in over the speakers. The decor was warm and modern and I loved the chain/beads on the way to the restrooms. The only other major spot was Margaret Mitchell's house.

I'm glad we didn't drive, because we left at about rush hour and traffic was horrible, of course. And it still took us over 1.5 hours to get the dollar movie theatre only 15 miles or so away. So, I feel I've had a true Atlanta experience now. (At least I thoroughly enjoyed Hitch!)

We're leaving at 11 this morning, to drive to Paducah, KY, hopefully avoiding traffic on the way out of town.

2 Comments:

Blogger espd said...

Heh. You said "Paducah."

6:21 PM  
Blogger The Frays said...

Too bad you've already left Atlanta, I could have recommended a few things to do and see. Robert and Holly could have given you a whole list! I'm glad you're having a good time; thanks for keeping everyone posted!
-a

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home