velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Strawberries!

Today was berry picking day out at Grandma's. Grandma and Grandpa live in Sandy Hook on a bluff overlooking the Missouri River. Sandy Hook is a town so small that it has never, in my memory, had a population number on the sign. It's also a "town" where I'm related to at least half of the people.

Picking and eating berries right from Grandma's patch is one of the greatest pleasures in life. They are extremely sweet, soft, juicy, and make a happy popping noise when you're picking a perfectly ripe one. (These are the best ones to eat!) I've never had any others quite as good as hers. Maybe it's the special Missouri fertilizer... ;)



When I took this picture, Dad and I had only picked half of the patch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home