velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Gardens

A couple of weeks ago, after a visit to the San Jose Museum of Art, I talked Mark and Jason into visiting Ulistac Natural Area. I hadn't been there for several years. When I first moved to California, I had the good fortune to canvass Chris and Jeanne. They told me about their restoration work, turning the old golf course into a native butterfly garden and oak woodlands. I then went on to spend most of my Saturdays for the next year there. Between Scott and I, we probably planted a third of the plants in that garden. On one of Dad's first visits to California to see me, we took him to the garden, where he taught the city-slickers how to use a shovel.

The garden is now approaching its sixth year. It's beautiful! So lush and full. I have a picture from the garden to post, but blogger's not working, so you'll just have to imagine something pretty.

As far as my current square of dirt, the seeds haven't come up. The bulbs are up, but it looks like something is eating off the tops of the sprouts...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home