velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Survey

And the survey question is...

Does the man need to ask the father for the woman's hand in marriage?

You can probably conjecture where Mark and I stand on this, but my Dad told me to ask.

You can also probably conjecture that Mark has already asked "for my hand (and arm and head and legs...well you get the idea) in marriage," and, of course, I said yes.

6 Comments:

Blogger mamakohl said...

V-
S asked for my hand. B did not. You do the math.

The question can easily be answered if you think of it this way - in what ways is your father still responsible for you? The question was originally asked in order to ensure that the prospective bride would continue to live in the manner in which she was accustomed to living (i.e. the manner of life that her father had provided for her.) These days are long gone and now women go out and provide for themselves before being provided for by a spouse (or at least we hope that they do.) Think about it. I assure you, your heart and brain are already there.

My vote? NOT NEEDED, but if it would be appreciated and used as a sign of good faith, no harm no foul.

9:58 AM  
Blogger espd said...

It's not her hand I wanted.

2:43 PM  
Blogger velma said...

I know that. And you know that. But I figured the "masses" didn't need to know the details! ;-)

2:52 PM  
Blogger mamakohl said...

It's all in the details, baby.

And yeah, who gets married for a hand?

3:46 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

What if the woman proposes? What then?

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
Format for wedding invitations Hard disk drive hard drives Sanabel island resorts Incorporate in greece venlafaxine how does it work wooden wedding invitations fiesta wedding invitations Xxx pourn movie clips

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home