velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Did you see me?

(From Monday, July 18)

I'm on the plane sitting next to a very quiet nun. Thirty minutes into the flight, the pilot mentions that Columbia, MO could be seen out of the left-side windows. From there I could see Sarah's house and where Grandma and Grandpa live, several bends down the river. I waved.

It made me think of a story from when I was little. We lived in Sandy Hook and it flooded, like it is wont to do. I was probably four or five and the waters came up to our front porch. Mom had just taught me to make paper boats (which also make great hats). So, we folded an envoy out of newspaper and set them afloat. A little while later, I called Grandma to ask her if she'd seen the boats that we set sail. She said, "Yes, they just passed a little bit ago." Now, Grandma and Grandpa live up on the top of the river bluff, so she was surely bluffing, but I didn't figure that out for a few more years.

During that same flood, we went fishing off the front porch. There wasn't much else to do, and since I was still at the gullible age, I thought it was a great idea. We didn't catch anything, but there's a great picture of me in a snowsuit thing (it was cold), with my feet dangling off of the porch and my line in the water.

Another flood story... It flooded in the summer of 1986. I remember the year because it was the year we moved to Jefferson City. The water was going to come up into the house about a foot. I'm not sure why, but there was a boat anchored at the bottom of Grandma and pa's bluff. So, Dad, Mom and I (I'm 8) scramble down the bluff and take the boat to our house. My job was to carry bricks to Mom and Dad while they stacked them under our furniture. For a week or so, we stayed at Grandma's and then, after the water had receded, went back to the house and scraped out the mud.

It really wasn't so bad. Not nearly as bad as 1993. I was in Italy (with my Latin class) during the peak of the flood, but in the old house I grew up in (same one as above), the water had gotten up to nearly the top of the windows. When I got back from Italy, I volunteered with the Red Cross helping people clean out their homes. In some, the mud was a foot thick.

No floods this year though. It hasn't rained for a month. For Missouri, this counts as a drought and grass that is supposed to be green is pretending it's in California.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home