velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Mission Mural



I took a walk this morning (as I did yesterday morning) with no particular destination in mind, just a direction I wanted to go. (Much like my life right now!) On my way, I found several groovy things - this mural being one. It's on a wall bordering a PG&E compound at Harrison and 20th. Other things - a BlowFish Sushi, two old brick buildings (rare in SF), a Peruvian restaurant that trains people for the workforce, and the SF Hospital, which is beautiful and unique in its architecture.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

next time you are in that neighborhood, go to atlas cafe (20th @ alabama). it is my favorite cafe -- excellent coffee & chai, yam sandwiches, yam & beet pizza, plus other veg and non-veg items. they are dog-friendly (i am going there today, in fact, with a friend who has a dog), and there is a nice, sunny patio out back.

do you know about blowfish sushi? it is pretty symbolic of the dotcom era changes in the mission, where it went from cheap tacquerias to fancy restaurants with valet parking. it was pretty much *the* place to be seen during that time. i am surprised that it has somehow survived. i have never been there myself, but i think it is still pretty overpriced.

jen e.

9:40 AM  
Blogger velma said...

I did stumble across Blowfish. And I read about Atlas cafe just last night! I definitely plan on heading back there.

Thanks for the tip!

10:41 AM  
Blogger espd said...

That PG&E building is the one targeted by anarchists during the G8 protest on July 8 (photo about 3/4 down the page).

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home