velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Harvest

The plums are ripe. Thankfully, they're not all ripe at once. I made chutney out of a gallon of them on Sunday. Technically, I made lazy plum chutney, because I didn't pit them. They're pretty small, about the size of hulled walnut. This picture is of just some that fell over the weekend. We had to compost about three gallons of them because they're bottoms split or they're rotten. Pretty, but rotten!



In other garden news, we've planted about a dozen more plants. The potatoes and strawberries LOVE it here. The tomatoes are doing Ok. The marigolds were a birthday present from my mother-in-law (along with a shovel and rake!) Overall, the plants are doing great. Only two have died.



On the home front, Mark is extremely pleased with his new bookshelves. Besides looking cool, they're able to hold most of what was still in boxes. Of course they're all full now.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot of book shelves. And the yard looks so nice. That's a lot of plums t deal with, are they sweet or tart?

1:21 PM  
Blogger espd said...

The chutney was *bleeeargh* :P

Sorry. I didn't like it.

The Indian curry was, however, dee-lish.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Velma, I just tried Salsa dancing a couple weeks ago too! LOVED it! Like 2 min speed dating but you dance instead of saying how you really like the outdoors.. ;)

Kathleen

10:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your garden!!!!!

laura

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home