velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Family Ties

...are more powerful that we'd like to admit, acknowledge or deal with.

I'm grateful for them though, because they give me access to a much wider range of people than are in my social circles. People in my social circles are all generally like me. People in my family are not. They're conservative, farmers, hunters, religious, recovering addicts and alcoholics, on parole, enjoy sports and country music, drive trucks, have had many kids in multiple marriages by the age of 30, live in trailers, shacks, old houses and new houses.

Through all of the external circumstances, I see that they're good people - hardworking and (generally) honest. They're doing their best with the tools that they have. And, most of the time, eventually it turns out ok. I'm learning that my way isn't necessarily better, it's just my way. And if it is better, it's not for me to say so, it's just for me to do.

I'm learning humility and equanimity, which are easy to say and think about, but that don't mean anything until lived. I'm learning that there is a story behind nearly everything, a path that has led them to where they are, and a reason they made the decisions they did. And because they're family - because we share common genetics, ancestors and a sense of place - they'll tell me their stories, if I simply ask what happened. Because they're family and because we're different, I have an amazing opportunity to grow beyond my comfortable social zone and remember to love beyond circumstances.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I came upon your blog while doing some research for Ozark Handspun yarn and realized after a bit of reading that you are the owner's daughter? Anyway, your dad does a wonderful job and I just love his yarn! I was drawn to it at Stitches west last feb. since I am from southeast missouri (jackson/cape girardeau area). Funny, no matter how long I live out here in california (6yrs)I can't get the sights, sounds, and smells of missouri out of my soul... Also, I love your designs using his yarn, do you ever publish patterns?

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home