velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Monday, May 26, 2008

How My Garden Grows


My garden is very happy. The peas, cilantro and chard are delicious. Next up is lettuce and tomatoes. The poppies are blooming like crazy. We have a crop of other wildflowers, nasturiums and potatoes coming up too. We've planted a few vines to start leafing out the fence. Mark keeps the patio and walk tidy. And we finally got a little table and stable chairs for somewhere to rest our drinks!

I had no idea how much I would love fresh cilantro. I made salsa a few days ago with it.

Salsa Fresca Tradicional Recipe
Finely chop:
2-3 ripe, local farm grown, heirloom tomatoes
1/4 onion
2-3 sprigs cilantro (use scissors)

Sprinkle 2-3 pinches of salt.
Squeeze on 1/4 lime.
Add 1 tbs sugar if needed. (I didn't need it, because the tomatoes were sweet enough.)
Stir.

I used to HATE cilantro and anything that went along with it - ie mexican food. I'm really glad taste buds get refreshed every seven years, because now I enjoy mexican one-two times a week - either at home or out.

The diseased australian tree has finished dropping it really sticky pollen for this year, so we will no longer have a cat with filthy paws coming in all the time.


Orson is still loving the garden. He goes out all day and then comes is and sleeps and sleeps and sleeps. Except when he's on crack - or maybe that's the cat nip. I planted cat nip out in the yard a few weeks ago, it was lush and about eight inches high. I checked yesterday and it was a nub. If Orson ate it, it's the first time he's ever been interested in cat nip. We've put it out for him multiple times with no effect.

Here's a couple of pictures of a tired kitty!


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home