velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Balboa and Binding

I just finished the quilt for Nanette! You'll have to wait for pics, because I'm down at her place in Mountain View and I don't have the camera umbilical cord. But, I can tell you it's beautiful and looks great with her living room. I had to take a few minutes to remember how to get started on the binding, but it went quickly after that. I always dread the binding because it has to be done my hand and it always seems so slow.

In the past two weeks, I've been on a creative frenzy. I've made 9 recycled sweater scarves, three knitted scarves, two quilted blankets, one quilt top and two more quilts. Whew.

So, I'm spending a few days down on the Peninsula. That means I don't have my sewing machine with me. As I was leaving this morning, I was having small fits of seperation anxiety. I think I'm over it now. I can get by the next few days with just making a few scarves. Plus, this may give me a chance to do some of the photo sorting I've been putting off for a month or so.

I went into Eddie's Quilting Bee tonight to get more needles and thread, which happened to be on sale today and today only. I love it when that happens. Eddie's is where Andi and I took our first quilting class. It's where I won the embroidery machine in the holiday raffle two years ago. It's a place of color and inspiration. They may not have the most expansive selection of batiks (that's the shop in Corvalis), but they have one of the best collections of colored/patterned fabrics for quilting. So, beautiful.

It is VERY challenging to leave there without buying a little fabric. But. I did. I took a deep breath and pictured the six drawers and three shelves of fabric I have back at the loft. I remembered the five or six more quilts I already have the materials for. And I left. I came back and finished the binding on Nanette's quilt. I'd needed the thread.

For the past twenty minutes, I was swinging and sliding around her condo. (She's not home. Had a mandatory business meeting. Which is good because I wanted to get her quilt finished before she saw it.) I'm listening to big band and swing music on her cable, because even with several hundred channels, nothing good is on. And listening to big band music makes my feet slide and my body swing. Can't help it. There are no curtains yet on her windows, though. Oh well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scottley said...

Wow, you said you were quilting, I didn't realize that you were churning out so much product!

Found your blog, haha!

Hope the martinis were tasty and that everyone wound up sliding in socks around on the floor in front of the fireplace.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home