velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Monday, November 14, 2005

Dawn Redwood


This is Mark admiring a dawn redwood in the Hoyt Arboretum in Washington Park, Portland. (He came up to see me and Portland for the weekend.) When I first saw them a few weeks ago, I was alarmed. Redwoods are supposed to be green! Are these sick? No. They get to turn colors in the fall with the other trees. It is truely a beautiful sight.

I'm leaving Portland today to head down the coast, which, miraculously, has a forecast of partly sunny for the next few days!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know we have dawn redwoods in Palo Alto? They were thought to be extinct for many years until they were rediscovered in a grove in China around the 1940's. Then many specimens were brought back and planted in the US. Every year around this time I get calls at work from people who think they are dead redwoods. I think they're cool.

Jana :)

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home