velma.org

"I have need of the sky. I have business with the grasses. I will up and away at the break of day to where the hawk is wheeling lone and high and where the clouds drift by."   - Richard Hovey, 1894-1961

Monday, June 27, 2005

Jammin'



I made Blackberry Jam this afternoon.

Directions:
1. Get Dad and Terri to pick 10 gallons of blackberries on Sunday morning at 7am before it's hot out.
2. Wash blackberries.
3. Crush blackberries with potato masher to make a puree. 1 gallon of berries makes 8 cups.
4. Put berries into large saucepan and add 14 cups of sugar. (Yes, that FOURTEEN cups of sugar. I did not skimp. It's full of sugary power. Just for you, Jess!)
5. Bring to rolling boil. Skim off foam.
6. Put in pectin and stir constantly for exactly one minute.
7. Make a big mess ladeling the hot jam into jars.
8. Invert jars and hope they seal!
9. Enjoy.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay -- homemade jam!
I have searched and searched for information about making sugar-free jam, but it seems necessary for preservation to add a ton of sugar. :-)
Jen E.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Velma - Two questions. One, will your dad come out to California and pick fruit for me? And two, did these jars seal? They look like they have more than the 1/4" headspace, which can keep the vacuum from forming.

Jen - regular pectin does call for tons of sugar. Not that this is bad, but Ball does make a no-sugar pectin that I've used with great results!

Kathy

11:43 AM  
Blogger velma said...

Kathy,
Answer One - I'll do my darndest to get him out out there!

Answer two - Yes. Miraculously. I was a little less than accurate with the headspace. It was around 1/4 inch when they were right side up. Inverted it turned into more. Several of them took quite a bit more than the allotted five minutes to seal. but somehow they all managed it.

Re: no sugar. Terri and Dad did a batch with less sugar and a batch with splenda. I'll report results when we try them.

Cheers!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home